running rev cgi on Mac OS 8.6 Personal web server?

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Sun Jun 5 20:40:20 EDT 2005

>On Jun 5, 2005, at 9:05 PM, Robert Brenstein wrote:
>
>>I have a client still running a Rev-based CGI (with Valentina as
>>database) behind MacHTTP under OS9 and works just dandy, serving
>>some 1500 users. AppleEvents (not AppleScript) are used for
>>inter-program communication.
>>
>>Such a setup will work just fine under 8.6 on beige 233. It is
>>actually possible to run this (yes, 8.6) on early G4's to get some
>>more cpu power. Perfect use for older hardware for less demanding
>>service.
>>
>>Robert
>>

>Robert,
>
>nice, so you can just add an appleevent handler in your rev app and
>you're good to go?
>
>man, that would be very nice.
>
>cheers
>andre

Yes, all you need is an appleevent handler that checks for web event
and replies to it by sending html page. My old starter.cgi is still
online for those who wants to get rolling faster.

This solution is particularly easy to implement for people with no
unix background, which is required at least to some degree to handle
an Apache setup. I am also running Apache/PHP/MySQL service and it is
surely more work to maintain.

Robert