Mac -> Win problems

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Wed Jul 27 11:38:06 EDT 2005

Thanks very much. That isn't what I'm trying to do -- not any more.
Originally I did want to do that, so as to line up metrical scansion
marks -- rather like diacritics, you're right -- over text. But I
didn't know about the formattedWidth property (which turns out to be
nifty now that I know to look it up), & so couldn't see how to get
the metric of the text itself. I resorted to doing all my scansions
in Courier, where I could control the relation between lines. Of
course it's uglier than a proportional font would be. If I were a
Good Person I'd go back and use the method you suggest -- but it
would involve, at a guess, several hundred example lines, and I don't
have the heart.

My recent problem has been simply to line up blank, opaque fields
covering the scansion marks, and reveal them at (the user's) will.
I'm now solving that with Phil Davis's screenshot approach, which
works fine for my purposes.

Thanks again -- learn something every day.

Charles