What About Newbies

Jon jbondy at sover.net
Sun Jul 10 08:39:14 EDT 2005

Tom:

I've been where you are, and it is VERY frustrating. Novices are not
handled gently by the Rev documentation.

I'd start off looking around for sample stacks and looking at how they
work.  This can be very instructive.  There are LOTS of stacks freely
available for download through Rev Online.  There are a few list folks
who also have extensive sets of free stacks which do lots of exciting
things.  It can be difficult, at first, figuring out how to find the
scripts, since they are separately associated with each object: click on
an object, click on the Script icon, and you should be able to see what
is going on.  The Application Browser (in the Tools menu) can also be
helpful in seeing what is present, and in getting to the object
Inspector and the scripts for those objects.  Right clicking on any
language word in a script will take you to the help for that word, and
the help is usually helpful.  Good examples for each help entry would be
better, but the Help is adequate.

As far as your specific request, databases and multiple windows, I agree
that I have not found anything that addresses this at a novice level.
For one thing, since database hooks are provided in Rev, but databases
are not, databases become complex, because you have to first consider
what database to use, and you are saddled with the consequences of that
decision.  It is difficult to write Rev documentation that encompasses
all of the various databases on all of the various platforms.

If you persist, probably through writing some simple applications at
first, you will find Rev to be useful, if slightly buggy and quirky (at
least compared to the languages I used in the past). There are some
elegant aspects of Rev and the IDE; in the end, you may find yourself to
be more productive (at least in some areas) then you were in your prior
development environment.

Finally, if you ask any specific question, even a novice one, on this
list, you are sure to get help.  The people here are the best.

Hang in there!

:)

Jon