What About Newbies

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Sun Jul 10 08:50:55 EDT 2005

Hi Jon and Tom.. and all,

I agree with you Jon, and I have to say that seeing your evolution on
this list since a few weeks, you are making dazzling progresses :-)
Just a few words to tell you that in a few days I shall release a new
plugin able to make an intelligent and contextual search in the docs
with additional amazing features regarding to mailing lists, Rev
Online, Revnet and all the web...
So keep in touch: this new plugin might appear as a universal sesame
key to all questions that newcomers or more advanced users ask
themselves :-)

Le 10 juil. 05 à 14:39, Jon a écrit :

> I've been where you are, and it is VERY frustrating. Novices are
> not handled gently by the Rev documentation.
>
> I'd start off looking around for sample stacks and looking at how
> they work.  This can be very instructive.  There are LOTS of stacks
> freely available for download through Rev Online.  There are a few
> list folks who also have extensive sets of free stacks which do
> lots of exciting things.  It can be difficult, at first, figuring
> out how to find the scripts, since they are separately associated
> with each object: click on an object, click on the Script icon, and
> you should be able to see what is going on.  The Application
> Browser (in the Tools menu) can also be helpful in seeing what is
> present, and in getting to the object Inspector and the scripts for
> those objects.  Right clicking on any language word in a script
> will take you to the help for that word, and the help is usually
> helpful.  Good examples for each help entry would be better, but
> the Help is adequate.
>
> As far as your specific request, databases and multiple windows, I
> agree that I have not found anything that addresses this at a
> novice level.  For one thing, since database hooks are provided in
> Rev, but databases are not, databases become complex, because you
> have to first consider what database to use, and you are saddled
> with the consequences of that decision.  It is difficult to write
> Rev documentation that encompasses all of the various databases on
> all of the various platforms.
>
> If you persist, probably through writing some simple applications
> at first, you will find Rev to be useful, if slightly buggy and
> quirky (at least compared to the languages I used in the past).
> There are some elegant aspects of Rev and the IDE; in the end, you
> may find yourself to be more productive (at least in some areas)
> then you were in your prior development environment.
>
> Finally, if you ask any specific question, even a novice one, on
> this list, you are sure to get help.  The people here are the best.
> Hang in there!

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software