Report from the MacWorld Trenches

Jerry Daniels jerry at daniels-mara.com
Wed Jan 12 10:55:28 EST 2005

Mark,

Many thanks for the report. I hope you and yours are doing well in this
new (high definition video) year.

I, too, (based on last year's show) was concerned with apple becoming
the iPod company.

I listened to the entire Keynote via the web (I am not there, of
course) to get to the bottom of my concerns, if nothing else.

A couple of observations:

1. Being a Mac guy from the "old days" I got accustomed to the MacWorld
Expos being a sort of "gathering of the faithful"--developers, users,
vendors, speakers, etc.

2. Even back in the old days, it only took me a couple of shows (and
laying out the money for a booth) to determine that MacWorld was not
the place to try and explain the subtlety of anything. It's for
slogging your goods. IMHO, it's no place for a developer or a tool
company, really.

3. The World WIde Developer's conference was the place to go if you
wanted to understand the latest tools and toolbox(es) available to a
developer. I believe it still is. Whether there is a place for non-XCMD
creating Rev programmers at WWDC, that remains to be seen.

4. The PRICING on Mac Mini and iPod shuffle signal something extremely
good to me. Perhaps Steve has finally gotten his medication just right,
because he's making a move to become a real computer company and not
just a boutique.

5. The Apple Stores all over the world are also another sign of really
capitalizing on what makes Apple a great innovator. He's finally
turning that innovation and obsessive-compulsive disorder into
stockholder benefits. It was interesting that he thanked the family and
spouses of the Apple engineers for driving everyone so hard. His near
miss with cancer may also be sobering our CEO up a bit.

It may seem on the surface -like: "Honey, I shrunk the show." I am
beginning to believe that Apple is starting to steer the ship in the
right direction.

As an enthusiastic Mac user (and a grudging WinXP user)I feel like
we're finally riding the horse in the direction it's going, rather than
sitting on it backwards.

Just my thoughts...

Jerry