Quicktime player and relative path

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sat Jan 8 17:48:56 EST 2005

Recently, duane poncy wrote:

> I have tried to build my first standalone with Rev 2.5.  My
> program needs a seperate mp3 to function, but the player
> did not show up on my stack in the standalone.
>
> Back to the Rev program. The player shows up fine with an
> absolute path, but when I set a relative path, my player
> disappears.  I thought at first that I was designating the
> path incorrectly, so I tried several different
> alternatives. No luck. The player only shows up with an
> absolute path. I even tried putting the mp3 in the same
> folder as the app. Didn't work.  Can someone tell me what
> I'm doing wrong?

Make sure you know what the path is relative to: your stack or the engine.
When you work in the IDE and use a relative path, the path will be relative
to the engine, which is in the Applications folder, unless you explicitly
reference a path to your stack.  Once you've built a standalone, the engine
is now a part of your stack which is likely in a new location (not the
Applications folder), so the relative path will be different.

In my work, I usually build absolute paths based on the fileName of the
stack, storing it for later reference.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director