Scrollbar Covering Resizebox

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Mon Jan 3 08:55:39 EST 2005

This is on OS X.
I have a stack in which I want a field to reach all the way to the
bottom of the window. This field is to contain text which will usually
more than fill the field, so I need a scrollbar. The stack needs to be
resizable, so when the field reaches to the bottom, the resize box of
the window covers the down arrow at the bottom of the fields scrollbar.

Is the only solution to make the field a non-scrolling field, use a
separate scroll bar and script the behaviour myself? If it is, can
anyone point to an example of such a thing, as I've not really played
around with scrollbars before, and I could use some help, as, once
again the docs are not really helpful - all the relevant properties,
commands and messages are listed, of course, but there's not much to
help with putting it all together.

Rant about docs follows (ignore if not interested)

I could find nothing helpful in the current (2.5) electronic docs, so I
started up 2.12 and found only  a recipe for hiding and showing the
scrollbar of a scrolling field when required. Next, I tried to find
something in the printed docs...I may have missed something, as it's
really quite hard to scan 9 pages of "How to...." without going a bit
snow blind. I tried revOnline, where there is what seems like a subset
of what's in the printed docs in the 'example scripts'
section....Finally, I searched the list archives and came up with
nothing.

I'm sure that with a bit of experimentation, I'll figure out how to do
what I want, though I'm not delighted at the prospect of what might be
a fair bit of experimenting just to solve such a small problem. It'll
have to take a back seat to other things for now. But I do think that
this is a decent example of the shortcomings in the current resources
available...this is not a deeply complex problem, and I wouldn't have
thought it very uncommon, but I seem to be on my own when it comes to
solving it, unless this excellent list once again makes up for
things....

Cheers,

Mark