typing foreign characters

Lars Brehmer larsbrehmer at mac.com
Tue Feb 15 07:45:44 EST 2005

Hi List (especially foreign character typers!)

I've been following this thread because I had similar problems and
questions last year.  Here is the weirdest thing I found out back then,
and to my knowledge on one has posted this interesting litlte fact yet,
at least I never saw it:

In Rev (and it seems in standalones as well) you can't get an umlaut
even with the option-u extra stroke when using the US English keyboard
on a Mac.  You can however, using the German keyboard, either hit the [
  ;  and  '  keys which give you ü, ö and ä respectively, but you can
also get the umlauts with the option-u-u,o,a method when using the
German keyboard (!?!)  I always found this quite strange, but it gets
even stranger!  For those who need these diacriticals and have to
switch to the German keyboard but are driven crazy by the different
layout (once you get used to the y and z keys there are still all the
punctuation marks and shift-number differences) you just have to use
the British English keyboard, which has the same layout as the US,
except the option-u strokes WILL produce the umlauts in both Rev and
standalones!  Also the õ (option-n-o) which I also need for Estonian.
I never understood why only the US keyboard is the only one that
doesn't do this, but using the British keyboard is certainly an easy
solution!

(note to Klaus - I finally DID actually help someone else :-D)

Cheers,

Lars