Externals in OS X

Hershel Fisch hershrev at realtorsgroup.us
Wed Sep 8 13:54:28 EDT 2004

On Wednesday, September 8, 2004, at 10:06 AM, Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:

> Are you using the library, not the database query builder?  Then
> right, the ID number is only valid after a connection is opened with
> that running instance of the program.  A new connection needs to be
> reopened by *each* *instance* of your IDE or standalone, and the ID
> number may or may not be the same between them.  The connection is
> only "visible" within a running copy of the IDE or standalone.
> Opening a connection from 2.2 will not open that connection from 2.5
> -- even if you have both IDEs running at the same time.  You have to
> open the connection within 2.5 if you want to use it from 2.5, and
> quitting the IDE closes the connection, so you would need to open it
> again each time you start the IDE (or your standalone), and the ID
> number may be different.
I figured that could be the problem.
Then I though I should open the connection with the shell() function,
but I wish I'd know how this thing works.(how to get to the point to
issue a SQL.) besides the fact that I played around a bit with the
shell() function and, I don't know , it doesn't seem to work the way I
suspected .
May needed to change the shell to a different shell, tch or ssh or
whatever.
> I have had no problems working with PostgreSQL from Rev 2.2.1 and OS X
> (X.3 now, but X.2 previously), except in dealing with blobs (which is
> bugzilla'd, of course...)  I generally set things up like this:
Yes , with 2.2 I have no problem . great job done by RR . I believe 2.5
will be fixed soon.

> In the stack script's preOpenStack handler, a login button's mouseUp
> handler, or whatever:
>
> set the database of this stack to revOpenDatabase("PostgreSQL",
> "localhost", "myDatabase", "myUsername", "myPassword")
>
> (after obvious substitutions)
More or less I do the same thing

global gDbid
on openStack
   put revOpenDatabase("PostgreSQL","127.0.0.1","myDbName,","userName",)
into gDbid
   and some additional scripts
end openStack

Thanks, Hershel