ANN: FTP Commander (the ftp browser Frank asked for...)

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Wed Sep 8 10:41:34 EDT 2004

On Sep 8, 2004, at 11:24 AM, Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:

> This can be a useful feature, though.  You can directly transfer files
> from one server to another by setting one to active and the other to
> passive mode, and taking the port number and IP address of one and
> feeding it to the other in order to have the data connection directly
> opened between them.  That way, the data is only sent across the
> network once, rather than being downloaded to your computer, then
> uploaded to the other server.  It can be even more significant if
> there is a faster network between the two servers than between the
> client and either of the servers.
>
> However, for security purposes, the situation is even worse than you
> seem to think.  Not only could someone else on the network "sniff" the
> passwords...   they could sniff the port numbers and IP addresses of
> the connections too.
>
> What's more, they wouldn't have to "hijack" the file by connecting to
> the port you establish.  Assume someone did -- you might guess that
> something was wrong, or at least know to check, because your client
> would fail trying to make the connection, and the server would report
> back through the control connection that the transfer was complete.
>
> If they just sniff the data connection itself and record the packets,
> they could reconstruct the file as you receive it yourself, and you
> might not have a clue that it happened.
>

> FTP is *very* insecure, and is really only any good for downloads of
> public files, or for transfers across "trusted" networks.

Irgh!!!!!!! I always thought sniffing packets could do some stunts, but
reconstructing the whole file from packet data always sounded as a big
job to me, if this is indeed easy, I am really scared. Tell me,  with
SSL available in the new Rev 2.5, do you think we can implement Secure
FTP?

cheers
andre

--