Upgrade version and pricing [was] Re: Fix it before

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Sun Mar 14 19:15:40 EST 2004

>   --  Going native WinXP appearance -- bug fix.
How is this a bugfix? This is major new functionality in the engine that has
been requested by many users for a long time and something I'd be happy to
pay for if it were a release on it's own.

>   --  More OSX appearance support -- either a bug fix or a very minor
> feature that isn't worth $299.
Well... given 2.1 came out before Panther you can't call not fully
supporting Panther a bug in 2.1.

>   -- Distribution builder fixes -- bug fix.
Maybe it's just me blowing my own trumpet but I know what I've done to the
distribution builder and "fixes" just doesn't cut it. This component has
been completely redesigned and has many new features.

>   -- Support for more Windows icons -- bug fix.
Erm... again this is a new feature that we haven't had before and has been
much requested for quite a while.

>   -- Improved database controls -- is this new functionality (with new
> Transcript commands) or bug fixes?
New functionality.

>   -- Numerous bug fixes -- bug fixes.
>
> I don't mean to be a bore, but that list sounds like mostly bug fixes
> to me.

I'd be very interested to find out what you class as a feature? For me it's
mainly new things being implemented in the engine or libraries but also
major workflow imrovements in the IDE.

Cheers

Monte