Upgrade version and pricing [was] Re: Fix it before moving ahead

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Sun Mar 14 16:32:39 EST 2004

>On 3/14/04 1:53 PM, Marian Petrides wrote:
>
>>Yes.  So long as customers are still using 9.1.1, there is an
>>implicit obligation to fix bugs therein.  Once a product is
>>purchased, the manufacturer has an implicit obligation to the
>>purchaser to ensure that it functions as advertised.  Simply
>>releasing a "new version" does not relieve one of the obligation to
>>fix defects in the older version.
>
>So, by this logic, Apple should still be releasing bug fixes for OS
>8.6? Lots of people still use it.
>
>--
>Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com
>HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Well, I do not quite agree with the original poster, but your
example, Jacque, is flawed and I am afraid it also misses the main
point.

8.6 was a free update which fixed all then-known issues with 8.5.x
releases. And 8.6 was and is very solid release. 8.5 was the only
pay-for upgrade in that generation.

Similar situation was with 8.0 generation (8.0.1, 0.2, 0.3, then very
stable 8.1) and 9.x generations (too many to list). Of course, once
Apple moves to a new generation, there are no updates to older ones.
That's reasonable. But they didn't move up until the generation was
sufficiently fixed.

Microsoft is still releasing ocassional patches (albeit only security
patches) for older Windows. I was updating a Windows 98 computer just
a couple weeks ago. Within its fully-supported life, it got several
free updates (service packs and individual component updates).

However, perhaps Metrowerks' Codewarrior is a better parallel since
it is a sort of competing development environment. Metrowerks
typically provides 3 bugfix releases (some only component upgrades)
between paid upgrades. The current Studio 9 has already 2 out.
Previous Studio 8 had 3 and Studio 7 had also 3.

And updates for Codewarrior (just like those of Mac OS or Windows)
are available for download even for quite old versions (generations).
If, for exmaple, you have a licence and original install of CW7 from
1995, you can still download all 9 updates that were issued during
its life-time should you have a sudden need to handle some legacy
project.

The point is that major (as in paid-for) upgrades seem to come out
only when the current version is considered stable and reasonably
'fixed'. My reading on the gist of this and related threads is that
users of Rev want RunRev to take care of bugs to a greater degree
before rushing out a new feature upgrade. IMHO, this was okay with
1.x generations when distinctions between bugs and features were
often fuzzy, but the generation 2 is improved so much that those
relaxed rules do not apply anymore and users are less willing to
spend money on new upgrades knowing that majority of reported bugs
were not fixed.

Robert Brenstein