How to use database-linked controls

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Tue Jun 29 07:21:48 EDT 2004

At 3:57 AM -0700 6/29/2004, Jan Schenkel wrote:
>  > But if we cannot pass a user defined variable to the
>>  database query builder then it makes the
>>  database-linked controls kind of weak. I hope that
>you
>>  complete that user interface soon.
>>

>It isn't straightforward to implement a clear
>interface for this : should it be global variables ?
>should it be a call to a function in the stack script
>? should it be the content of a custom property ?

I'd suggest it would be more useful (possibly a little harder to do)
to allow any valid Transcript expression in a query, perhaps
surrounded by characters that don't normally show up in a SQL query
(could "[" and "]" be used for this?). The database query manager
would substitute the value for the expression before passing the
query to the db library, whenever the query's used.
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ jaed at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com