Groups and backgrounds

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Thu Jul 8 11:22:24 EDT 2004

On Jul 8, 2004, at 4:20 AM, Ken Ray wrote:

> It should work just that way. I opened a new stack in Rev, grouped a
> couple
> of objects, set the backgroundBehavior of the group to true and put
> this
> script in the script of the group:
>
> on Test
>   answer "Hello"
> end Test
>
> Then I created a button that was just sitting on the card with:
>
> on mouseUp
>   Test
> end mouseUp
>
> Sure enough, when I clicked it, I got a "hello" dialog.
>
> Can you try my simple example and see if it works for you? If so, it
> may be
> something else we need to look at...

OK. So then maybe I need to understand a couple (LOL) things better.

First, are a background group's scripts available in a preOpenCard
message if the background exists on the card that is being entered?

And second - that means that the message path is -
frontscripts->object->group->card->stacks->libraryStacks->backscripts

when there are no backgrounds. And,
frontscripts->object->group->card->backgrounds->stacks->libraryStacks-
 >backscripts

if there is a background.

But what is the message path for objects within the backgrounded group?

Thanks for clarifying. It seems to me that a grasp of all the
intricacies of the message path is one of the keys to optimal program
operation, so I want to get this right.

--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.