creating a log file

Chris Sheffield revlist at cableone.net
Thu Jul 8 13:01:55 EDT 2004

In doing some testing, we're having some problems with an application where
it just unexpectedly quits when running under OS X.  So far I have been
unable to reproduce the problems on my own computers, but others in my
office are reporting that this is happening.

So what I'd like to do is create some kind of logging routine where my
standalone will write to a text file all commands, functions, messages, etc.
that are getting sent.  So far I've just taken all my scripts, copied them
to a sub stack of my main stack file, stripped what I don't need, put in
some code to write the handler name and any parameters to a file, and then
passing the handler.  I've inserted the script of this sub stack into front
so it'll receive any messages first.  But I'm wondering if this is the best
way to do this?  It'll take me forever to do it this way.  Is there some
kind of all encompassing message that gets sent that can be used to extract
information about other messages?

I don't know if this is even making sense or not.  How do others go about
creating a logging routine like this?

Thanks,

Chris Sheffield
Software Developer