on startup and on shutdown

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Sun Jan 11 08:38:31 EST 2004

Hi Thomas,

> I just found the on startup and on shutdown handlers. I have tried to
> clean
> up my CD project by putting the initializers into these handlers. The
> docs say that is what they are for.
>
> Has anyone used these that much? I don't think they load when the
> stack is launched
> in the IDE. I think they only run in the final build.
> Does anyone know for sure? I had to put the code in both the startup
> and preopen
> stack handlers. In the preopenstack I put an 'if the environment is
> "development"
> then do the same code as in the startup handler.

I have no experience with "startup" but i would say that "preopenstck"
IS the best place to
initialize everything...

And "closestack" or "closestackrequest" or something the best place to
cleanup things
before you leave...

> Also related to this, I was reading the docs and they say if you want
> to keep a preference
> set to load the variables into a custom property on shutdown and then
> reload the custom
> prop into the variable on start up. I have not been successful in this
> in my CD. Also, I thought
> from this list that the only way to save info was via a separate stack
> outside the build.
> Seems a contradiction.

No, it isn't.
Yes, it is!
No, it isn't.
Yes, it is!
No, it isn't.
Yes, it is!
No, it isn't.
Yes, it is!
No, it isn't.
Yes, it is!

Oh, c'mon this is not an argument, this is a contradiction...
etc...

Monty Python...
:-D

Contradiction or not, that's the way it works with "modern" OSs... ;-)

> Has anyone done this? I need to test it in a simple stack.

Check this for a quick guide:

http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2003-December/
026781.html

> Thanks