on startup and on shutdown

Thomas J McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Sun Jan 11 08:55:10 EST 2004

On Jan 11, 2004, at 8:38 AM, Klaus Major wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
>> I just found the on startup and on shutdown handlers. I have tried to
>> clean
>> up my CD project by putting the initializers into these handlers. The
>> docs say that is what they are for.
>>
>> Has anyone used these that much? I don't think they load when the
>> stack is launched
>> in the IDE. I think they only run in the final build.
>> Does anyone know for sure? I had to put the code in both the startup
>> and preopen
>> stack handlers. In the preopenstack I put an 'if the environment is
>> "development"
>> then do the same code as in the startup handler.
>
> I have no experience with "startup" but i would say that "preopenstck"
> IS the best place to
> initialize everything...
>
> And "closestack" or "closestackrequest" or something the best place to
> cleanup things
> before you leave...
My problem with the preopenstack is that I have a lot of substacks that
I don't want to use what is in the preopenstack handler. That is why
the startup looks so good. The docs say it is only called once but each
time I open a substack it 'reloads' all of the things in the main
stack's preopenstack which I don't want to happen.

>> Also related to this, I was reading the docs and they say if you want
>> to keep a preference
>> set to load the variables into a custom property on shutdown and then
>> reload the custom
>> prop into the variable on start up. I have not been successful in
>> this in my CD. Also, I thought
>> from this list that the only way to save info was via a separate
>> stack outside the build.
>> Seems a contradiction.
>
> No, it isn't.
> Yes, it is!
> No, it isn't.
> Yes, it is!
> No, it isn't.
> Yes, it is!
> No, it isn't.
> Yes, it is!
> No, it isn't.
> Yes, it is!
>
> Oh, c'mon this is not an argument, this is a contradiction...
> etc...
>
> Monty Python...
> :-D
>

> Contradiction or not, that's the way it works with "modern" OSs... ;-)

Which one is the way it works in "modern" OSs??????
Either a custom prop can store info collected during use or if not,
then a sep stack needs to do it????
Which one?

Thanks Klaus,

Tom