Set browser "helper" app (Modified by Devin Asay)

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Mon Feb 16 11:33:46 EST 2004

Again, please forgive the reposting if any of you have already received
this. I have had problems getting my messages thru to the list and am
working with Heather to correct this.

DNA

--------reposted message---------

Thanks, Richard and others.

Can you tell me what the mime type is for Safari? Something like
application/x-rev?

By the way, who decides the official mime type designation? Who
decided, for example, that the mime type for MS Excel documents is
application/vnd.ms-excel? Is there a registry somewhere, or do they
just "evolve" into a standard?

The topic of creating web-enabled apps in Rev is of great interest to
me right now; I'm going to give a conference presentation later this
year on Internet-enabled applications at a Symposium of foreign
language educators. The working title is "The Browser is Dead; Long
Live the Web". Of course I am going to be talking about how easy it is
to create web-savvy apps in Revolution. I have read Richard Gaskin's
excellent article on the subject, and I would welcome anyone's input
who has experience/ideas on this topic.

Devin

On Feb 13, 2004, at 10:03 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Devin Asay wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know how to set the most commonly-used browsers in OS X to
>> automatically launch a rev stack (with Rev or some compiled Rev
>> launcher app) when it is clicked on in a web page? I want to be able
>> have a user click on a stack link in my web page and have it launch,
>> instead of merely download or even try to show the contents in the web
>> page. Like happens when you click on a pdf link.
>
> You can do this by adding the appropriate MIME type in the prefs for
> any
> browser -- except Apple's Safari. :(
>
> I use Mozilla and I just launched stack files from my Web site.  :(
>
> Th MIME types are there somewhere, only it seems Apple didn't provide
> an
> interface for editing them. There must be a way to hack this very basic
> functionality -- anyone know how?  :\

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University