rev and languages

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Thu Feb 19 00:54:10 EST 2004

Hi Tom,

> Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:20:03 -0500
> From: Thomas McGrath III <3mcgrath at adelphia.net>
> Subject: Re: rev and languages

> If I wanted to learn Java or something else I would not have bought REV.
>
> Please don't go down this road. I don't think I will follow.........
------------
I don't think the posts I've read are headed towards JAVA scripting as a
replacement for Transcript. At least I hope not. It would make no sense.
It's a cryptic, slow coding, caterpillar-like language by comparison to
Transcript. It only became popular because of promotion on the web among
Windows users who didn't have a clue about xTalk scripting languages at the
time. I watched it happen, tried to tell a few people, and finally just
shook my head and ran away into HyperCard.

But, offering a *few options* borrowed from earlier languages which seem
just as natural (x = 12) as Transcript and could actually make it more
efficient might be OK.

OTOH, if it starts looking and coding like Javascript, I'd consider that a
step backward and be outahere too.

Ken N.