rev and languages

Ops ops at myesa.com
Thu Feb 19 01:54:58 EST 2004

>>If I wanted to learn Java or something else I would not have bought REV.
>>
>>Please don't go down this road. I don't think I will follow.........
>
> ------------
> I don't think the posts I've read are headed towards JAVA scripting as a
> replacement for Transcript. At least I hope not. It would make no sense.
> It's a cryptic, slow coding, caterpillar-like language by comparison to
> Transcript. It only became popular because of promotion on the web among
> Windows users who didn't have a clue about xTalk scripting languages at the
> time. I watched it happen, tried to tell a few people, and finally just
> shook my head and ran away into HyperCard.
>
> But, offering a *few options* borrowed from earlier languages which seem
> just as natural (x = 12) as Transcript and could actually make it more
> efficient might be OK.
>
> OTOH, if it starts looking and coding like Javascript, I'd consider that a
> step backward and be outahere too.
>
> Ken N.

I say to heck with x = 12 and such.  I'm sure the other environments
mentioned have the staff and resources available to program away their
identities.  IMHO, this community should not encourage the Rev folks to
meander from the product core and visions of it's future.  It was not
"mainstream" thinking that created such a unique and productive
environment.  Keeping a "thinking outside the box" mentality combined
with a focused effort by the Rev staff is the recipe for long term
success.  Losing focus on the aforementioned in an effort to achieve
short term gain will not serve us well in the long haul.

Just one programmers .02

put thispost02 + lastposts02 into longtermgain

I'll take the "4" in that manner over "longtermgain = 4" any day :)

Ops