Andy's comments and positioning...

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Sun Feb 8 20:04:49 EST 2004

Le 8 févr. 04, à 22:29, Dar Scott a écrit :

> On Sunday, February 8, 2004, at 01:15 PM, Frank Leahy wrote:
>
>> x = y + z (instead of put y + z into x)
>> x += 1 (instead of add 1 to x)
>> x.myProperty = foo (instead of set myProperty of x to foo)
>>
>> Not supporting these standard statements make the language look a bit
>> "beginner-ish".
>
> I disagree.  This is archaic C syntax.  The '=' runs foul to math
> syntax.  C has been the ball and chain of programming language
> development and we should not willingly adopt its syntax.
>
> The Xtalk syntax emphasizes the nature of variables as containers (in
> this language).
>
> The '=' of Xtalk is friendly to the '=' of math.
>
> Do we move to Montana woods to get away from zoning and then ask for
> zoning so city folks won't think us country hicks?
>
> In the Old Testament is a story of how the Hebrews asked God for a
> king because all their neighbors had kings and they were embarrassed
> about not having one.
>
> Dar Scott

Agreed ! The English-like syntax of Transcript seem me to be one of the
main parts of the XTalk paradigm : As long as Rev will support this
VHLL feature, we will stay able to code transcript handlers, even
without running computers : i like to feel me free to "think and code"
cool handlers in the railroad or, even, in driving my car from home to
the office... I can't, for my own, do, with the same success, such kind
of things in using Rebol, PHP, Javascript or Java...

Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

100, rue de Paris
F - 77140 Nemours

psahores at easynet.fr

GSM:   +33 6 03 95 77 70
Pro:   +33 1 41 60 52 68
Dom:   +33 1 64 45 05 33
Fax:   +33 1 64 45 05 33

Inspection académique de Seine-Saint-Denis
Applications et SGBD ACID SQL (WEB et PGI)
Penser et produire "delta de productivité"