function to calculate string length...

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sun Dec 26 07:21:54 EST 2004

Well, I cobbled this together from some of the archives...
Anyone see an obvious place to optimize?

on formatFld pFldName, pTxt
   lock screen
   put the width of fld pFldName into tW
   set the width of fld "formatCheck" to tW
   repeat for each line L in pTxt
     put L into fld "formatCheck"
     put false into tIsTooLong
     repeat while the formattedwidth of fld "formatCheck" > tW
       delete last char of fld "formatCheck"
       put true into tIsTooLong
     end repeat
     if tIsTooLong is true then