the secrets of Monks

Brian Thomas runrev at rivertext.com
Wed Dec 22 16:32:25 EST 2004

At last, the conclusion to the longest running project in the history
of interactive media. Thanks again to everyone who helped build the
If Monks had Macs (or Windows) library.

Runtime Revolution has just released a stack of scripts and tips as
to using Revolution/Dreamcard for multimedia. The stack may not be of
much help to the wizards on this site who have been so helpful to
over the years that I have been working on Monks. Nonetheless, it is
a good resource for you to know about and point out to new multimedia
developers. And the stack does share a wonderful technique that
Jeanne A.E. deVoto worked out for me so Monks could display life-size
(museum sized) paintings on small computer screens. You can download
the demo/codeshare tutorial through revOnline or by using this link:

http://revonline.runrev.com/resources/coding/monks-demo.zip

The two main differences between the new edition of Monks and last
year's is that:

1). Sophie, our ebook reader is now compatible with Mac OS 10.3. Also
all the ebooks have been revised and a new one added. The new ebook
is H.G.Wells The War of the Worlds. (I haven't tried to make it as
compelling as Orson Wells did, but I have added an introduction that
argues that the story is as timely at today's headlines.) This new
version of Sophie and all the ebooks is a free download from Richard
Gaskin's web site. If you already have a copy of Monks you can just
replace the old Sophie folder with the new one (being careful not to
toss any notebooks you may have created out.

http://fourthworld.com/products/sophie/download.html

2). I have included all my latest experiments in digital video and
photography -- all my efforts to take the ideals out of the library
and into the streets.

These additions are all available on my web sites.

http://rivertext.smugmug.com/

http://rivertext.com/stuff.html

-------------------

For those of you who may not know what the hell this post has been
about, here is a brief timeline of "the longest running project in
the history of interactive media":

The first library of fun and games and serious ideas that was called
If Monks had Macs was built with Apple Computer's HyperCard,
compressed onto two floppy disks and released as freeware in 1988.
That was before the creative success of the CD-ROM (which began the
following year with the Voyager Company's release of "Beethoven's
Ninth.") In 1995 when the Voyager Company published the first
commercial version of Monks I made the mistake of requesting that
they add this line to the back of the package:

"Brian Thomas is currently working on If Monks had Windows."

I failed to achieve this goal three times -- I failed in: Oracle
Media Objects, SuperCard, and mTropolis. Nonetheless, all that time I
was re-working the library's provocative text to make it beautifully
illustrated, quick and deep. Now I have succeeded in bringing If
Monks had Macs to Windows as well as to Mac OS X thanks to
"Revolution."

For more info see my web site.

http://rivertext.com/

--