Rev's Mac-Centricity (Was: Plea to sell Dan's book widely)

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Sat Aug 7 13:55:44 EDT 2004

On Aug 7, 2004, at 1:19 PM, Dan Shafer wrote:

> At the end of the day, RR has to find niches where cross-platform
> development is important or even critical. Those niches exist. But
> they are not mainstream programmers on either platform (and certainly
> not on *nix, whose developers seem to prefer Open Source tools). To
> delude itself into thinking it will *ever* make significant inroads
> into any traditional programming market would, I think, be the end of
> RR.

I have to say, I completely agree. In general, Windows developers are
simply not seeking a tool like this. Many Mac developers are, as well
as many developers who are specifically looking for X-plat capability.

For me, X-plat is an absolute necessity. For one thing, I work on Macs
exclusively. This is strictly my choice and preference. But my clients
need Windows apps, and only occasionally a Mac version.

I have to admit, I've been studying Apples XCode in the past week, if
only to better understand what I am currently choosing *not* to use. So
far as I can see, the only way to develop X-plat using a single
code-base with XCode would be to do so in Java, and I'm not sure I'm
interested in that route. The package is VERY compelling though...
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.