Rev's Mac-Centricity (Was: Plea to sell Dan's book widely)

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Sat Aug 7 14:18:30 EDT 2004

Troy.....

On Aug 7, 2004, at 10:55 AM, Troy Rollins wrote:

> So far as I can see, the only way to develop X-plat using a single
> code-base with XCode would be to do so in Java, and I'm not sure I'm
> interested in that route.

Don't get caught in THAT trap. I have several friends who are serious
Java programmers. They maintain that Java's "write once, run  anywhere"
promise has NEVER been fulfilled and that they find it doesn't even
come up to the standard of "write once, debug everywhere." They're
using Java almost exclusively for server-side stuff these days; very
few new apps are being written in pure Java for xplat deployment.

Further proof, I think, that the demand for cross-platform development
tools is small and largely Mac-focused.

BTW, in my earlier too-long contribution to this dialog, I neglected to
say that if I were writing apps for OS X only, I'd probably be inclined
to learn and use Objective C and XCode. For me, the one big failing in
Revolution is and always will be its lack of object orientation. But I
remain willing to forego that lack in return for the ability to develop
Windows apps without having to use Windows all day to do it.