Rev's Mac-Centricity (Was: Plea to sell Dan's book widely)

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Sat Aug 7 13:19:03 EDT 2004

Chipp.........

You knew I'd have to chime in here. :-)

Not simply to be contrarian, but I do not believe RR has any serious
chance of making real inroads into other platforms. Period. No matter
what they do. Over the decades -- yes, decades! -- I've been in this
business, I bet I've seen 100 or more development platforms, languages,
and tools emerge that would have made Windows programmers more
productive and efficient. Not one of them thrived. Only a few survived.

Now you could go through the list and find something wrong with every
one of them, I'm sure. A reason they failed. But I submit that if in
all that time, no new language or tool that wasn't backed by a huge
company (Microsoft in particular but also Sun and IBM and, for a while
at least, Borland) ever made real inroads. My belief -- and I confess
that it is only a belief, not something I can support with anything
stronger than my own experiences an insights -- is that Windows
developers are principally if not exclusively interested in developing
for the Windows platform and that the Bandwagon Effect results in the
vast majority of them using mainstream tools. Hell, Java doesn't even
have significant presence among pure Windows developers; it's been
shifted to the enterprise/server side of the equation and Microsoft is
on the verge of dislodging even that penetration.

Oh, sure, there is a minuscule number of programmers who experience a
Smalltalk or a Revolution or an Objective C and say, "Wow, I can be way
more productive than my competitors with this. I think I'll use it
instead of C++ or C#." And some of them stick with their
out-of-the-mainstream tools. But most don't. Eventually, the fact that
95% of their colleagues are using other tools with widespread library
support, fellow programmers to exchange code and ideas with, and all
the other components of the Bandwagon Effect drag most of them back to
the mainstream tools.

This is true even on the Mac. Only a minority of desktop app developers
who develop  for the Mac are ultimately interested in selling Windows
products. (I'm not saying this *should* be the case, but it's a reality
nonetheless.) CodeWarrior lets hard-core C types deliver cross-platform
but they're a bit player on both sides of the fence. Apple's dev tools,
esp under OS X, are awesome and powerful. Every single Mac programmer I
know uses them and not Revolution despite the fact that they could use
Rev and greatly expand their market. In some cases, they are working
for an all-Mac customer or client base. In  others, they just don't
care; they'd rather build apps with all of the coolness and nuance of a
Mac app and forego the Windows marketplace than compromise. In effect,
this is another face of the same argument you make for why RR needs to
make the product less Mac-centric: developers on those "other"
platforms want to see tools that feel like those platforms.

At the end of the day, RR has to find niches where cross-platform
development is important or even critical. Those niches exist. But they
are not mainstream programmers on either platform (and certainly not on
*nix, whose developers seem to prefer Open Source tools). To delude
itself into thinking it will *ever* make significant inroads into any
traditional programming market would, I think, be the end of RR. I
think they should focus exclusively on  the folks I call Inventive
Users who are not full-time professional coders, who can make a tool
switch without a huge technical or social cost, and who are at least
interested in if not motivated by the possibility of cross-platform
development.

As it happens, I think that audience is at least 10 times as large as
the professional programming audience and vastly more receptive to new
development tools and technologies. But reaching that audience is
tricky.