Print cards with headers

Graham Samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Sun Apr 25 18:15:39 EDT 2004

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:27:49 +1000, Sarah Reichelt
<sarahr at genesearch.com.au> wrote:

>Wow - I never realized that print card into rect was so powerful! I
>have used it put only to print a single card into a single page. Now
>that I know you can use it to build up a complete report, the sky is my
>limit!

I didn't know about that either, and it's not at all clear from the docs
(in fact, is it guaranteed to work or is it just kind of accidental?)...
but I'm wondering, what are you doing about the printable area problem in
your reports? I mean, you can know the page size chosen by the user is say
A4 via the printPaperSize global property, and you can set the
printMargins, but you can't find out the minimum margins which will work
for your particular printer (these will usually not be zero as most
printers don't allow edge-to-edge printing). I've brought this up before,
feeling that it's a reasonable to expect to be able to get access to this
info in Transcript because I see that several extremely well-known apps on
Macs and Windows can do it (thus implying that it's part of the API of
these OSs), but so far nobody has found a way AFAIK.

Just hoping... but maybe my best bet is to put an enhancement request into
Bugzilla.

Graham