Some Basic Misunderstandings/Problems with RunRev - aka

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Thu Apr 15 01:07:41 EDT 2004

Hi Dave,

> Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 19:51:29 +0100
> From: David Burgun <dburgun at dsl.pipex.com>
> Subject: Re: Some Basic Misunderstandings/Problems with RunRev - aka

> If I did need that (or need it in the future), then I could implement
> the text file solution just for the Prefs window. All the other
> Windows/Stacks can be saved as a normal RR stack. There are so many
> windows/stacks/controls that to save them all in as a text file would
> be unweildy I think.
-------------
NO, no, I don't think that's what folks are meaning to say.

1) Stacks are files. They appear in windows, therefore the word "stack" and
the word "window" are basically interchangeable, althought the syntax
doesn't always allow for it. A standalone is what happens to a Main stack
when you build the SA. It's actually the application because it contains the
runtime engine, but most of us just make a splash out of it, with maybe some
init routines. It's substacks become files full of stuff, whether GUI or
data. That's really all there is to it.

2) The windows and controls don't go into a text file, just the associated
values, i.e., whatever the controls generate, i.e., strings and numbers.
Therefore, you assign values to the _states_ of your controls, and save them
the same way. When you read them back into variables, they can now be used
to govern the action, which is what you want to do (I assume).

Makes sense?

Ken N.