SC, Rev,and RB speed test

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Thu Apr 15 04:22:52 EDT 2004

Wednesday, Chris wrote,
> The projects match 3,000 short phrases against an 81,920 word text.

> Revolution -- 1120 ticks

That's about 19 seconds.

I would guess the text about 500,000 characters.  A brute force
comparison would then be doing over 3,000 X 500,000 character
comparisons, depending on the number of false starts.  That's about 12
ns per character.

On my computer I get about 12 ns per character in the 'contains'
operation.

Perhaps this test is really a test of 'contains' or offset() against
the RealBasic instrb().  This is good to know, but it might be a narrow
comparison.

I wouldn't wouldn't search for phrases this way, but I understand it is
just a speed test.

Dar Scott