Another Area For Document Development

Gregg gwp at accommodata.com
Mon Apr 5 16:34:09 EDT 2004

Judy (among others) is quite right about the help that example stacks
would be.  But not just for new programmers.  I've been programming
for over 30 years, on mamy different systems, languages, and on a
wide varietly of tasks, and I find Rev very slow to learn because the
documentation per se is verbose, repetitive, and lacks such simple
examples.

How many hours have you spent with just a graphic learning what changing
each of the properties actually changes?  How baffled were you that the
terminology used in the documentation does not coincide completely
with the correct names of the properties?  Or the realization that the
Object Inspector does not allow inspection of all of an objects properties?
Or that the Object Inspector's labels are inconsistent with the property
names?

I would like to see an Object Inspector which shows a generic object of
the type (for normal, focusable, disabled, highlighted, &c.), and as each
property is changed, the generic objects reflect this .  Having
had such a palette would have saved me enormous time and frustration.
I can write one now, but I've got work to do. (Maybe when my load lightens...).