Layout Manager

Frank Leahy frank at backtalk.com
Mon Apr 5 18:19:18 EDT 2004

On Monday, April 5, 2004, at 10:31  PM,
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> After playing around with GM for quite awhile, I've decided it works
> best for smaller projects where only a few things get resized/changed.
>
> I created a larger project (~50 controls) which some of the controls
> were cloned at runtime. GM worked fine in the IDE, but didn't work
> correctly in the runtime. I decided to write my own Layout Manager,
> which I'll be releasing sometime soon as a plugin.
>
> Also, Layout Manager will create the correct profiles for Mac,Win,Linux
> which capture the control's resize behavior, rect and position, along
> with setting certain stack props as well. LM will do all this with a
> custom prop set: altLayout (not using regular profiles prop set).

Chipp,

If you haven't already, it's worth taking a look at how RealBasic
handles layout (you can probably get a demo key to test it out) -- I
only used RB for a short while before deciding to use RR instead, but
my sense was that its GM was much simpler in concept and much more
straightforward.  When I first tried the GM in RR (which I have never
actually used because I couldn't get it to work consistently) was that
it was way too complicated, as though the developer never sat back and
said "hmmm, I wonder if this is more complicated than I need?"

-- Frank