Bug submissions, Feature requests and Voting

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri Sep 19 11:53:00 EDT 2003

On Friday, September 19, 2003, at 06:11 AM, Jan Schenkel wrote:

> Frankly, I think voting on bugs is a _bad_ idea.

Yet, consider two recent bugs: the rendering problem in scrolled fields
leaving stripes and the failure of decompression on some data.  Those
are now fixed and I assume will be in the next bug-fix release.
However, the fixes seemed to come in response to list discussion.

It is very hard to prioritize bug fixes.  It is often hard to identify
what a bug report is about.  (For example, I think "Bad Seek" is about
those random, often repeated, compiler errors.)  A vote is a way of
saying, please look here.

If one has support, use of that may be a way also.

And as far as what is obscure and in the corner?  How would RunRev
know?  Well, I'm sure they have some idea.  But consider compression or
MD5?  Are those used a little or a lot?  And just knowing what people
use is not exactly the right measure, maybe having been burned folks
stay away from certain things.

Dar Scott