Do Proxies Interfere With Sockets?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri Oct 3 17:15:01 EDT 2003

On Friday, October 3, 2003, at 03:40 PM, David Kwinter wrote:

> On openStack my program gets the IP address of the host computer via
> the URL
> http://www.sofaking.tv/w.txt

Currently 137.186.182:8080

> It then does its communication via sockets.

Do you mean via tcp using "open socket"?  One might infer from the
above IP address and port that it is tcp to an http port.

> I understand that the first request may not work if "httpProxy" is not
> set
> first. That is ok and I can change it.
>
> My question is: Will my socket communication work normally thereafter
> or
> does a proxy mess with it too?

No.  Well, not with simply an "open socket" command.  If it really is
http, then you need to open the port at the proxy.  (Well, some
firewalls will forward requests to its proxy, so... maybe.)

If it is not http, then you will likely have to deal with the firewall
and firewall keepers.

> Unfortunately I don't have a proxy to test
> with.

Maybe somebody has figured out how to provide that service.

Dar Scott