Do Proxies Interfere With Sockets?

David Kwinter david at kwinter.ca
Fri Oct 3 16:51:43 EDT 2003

Hello,

I have a program which works great on Mac and PCs which are either directly
connected to the internet or behind a router, not a proxy.

On openStack my program gets the IP address of the host computer via the URL
http://www.sofaking.tv/w.txt

It then does its communication via sockets.

I understand that the first request may not work if "httpProxy" is not set
first. That is ok and I can change it.

My question is: Will my socket communication work normally thereafter or
does a proxy mess with it too? Unfortunately I don't have a proxy to test
with.

Please help,

David Kwinter