Decompress cross platform

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Oct 3 14:26:09 EDT 2003

This has come up on the list before, but I didn't find a solution in the
archives.

I have a field with a lot of data in it. To save disk space, I run it
through compress() and put the compressed data back into the field
before saving the stack. When the stack opens, it uses decompress() to
extract the information.

The data decompresses fine on whatever platform did the compression. But
when the data is compressed on Windows, it won't decompress when the
stack is copied to a Mac. When the data is compressed on a Mac, it won't
decompress when the stack is copied to Windows. I suspect this may have
something to do with line endings, but maybe not. In any case, I get an
error saying the data is not compressed data.

I don't want to maintain separate stacks for each platform. Any idea how
to get around this problem? I thought compression was supposed to work
the same way on all plaforms.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com