I need Distribution Builder advice

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Oct 1 05:39:00 EDT 2003

I'm having a number of problems creating a distribution for OSX. I've
searched bugzilla and I see at least one of the problems I've had (a
kind of dummy copy of Revolution appears beside my app when the
distribution is built, but it crashes on opening and anyway what's it
doing there?), but I couldn't understand from the Bugzilla comment in
what sense it had been fixed. I have had other issues with
'Revolution' appearing in the app's menu for example, which only
happens sometimes...

I also seem to have problems setting icons and also creating OSX
distributions when using MacOS 9.2.2 (in native mode, not using
Classic under OSX). Basically I need a tutorial, so that I can try to
use the Dist Builder as correctly as I can and then if need be report
any actual bugs.

I may have missed it, but I have not found any cookbook items
relating to distribution building. It seems to me that we badly need
some kind of step-by-step instructions for creating a robust app with
proper icons and menus for OSX, explaining what to do about the
various issues that have come up from time to time (like the Quit
menu issue, what to do with plists, what exactly an icon set has to
consist of etc). Clearly building a robust OSX distribution is
possible, since RunRev itself has done it, but since it didn't work
first time for me, I really don't know what to do now. I can't
believe I'm the only one to be confused by all this.

TIA

Graham