GIF animation problem

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Nov 7 15:12:45 EST 2003

At 12:30 +0000 6/11/03, I wrote:
>In an app that is in an advanced state of testing, I have a couple
>of transparent buttons each of which has an icon which itself is an
>animated GIF.

[...] I didn't say clearly that the user is allowed to drag these
buttons around the screen.

>This generally works extremely well, but my beta tester has pointed
>out that just one of these animations stops working as soon as its
>border overlaps with the other one. It doesn't seem to mind
>overlapping with other, static, controls (images and grcs).

I have tried all sorts of stuff now, such as changing the size of the
GIFs, taking away other graphics and images, etc, but the phenomenon
continues. It seems that the GIF with the most frames is the one
which stops moving, while the one with less frames continues to
animate: if both have the same number of frames, or are derived from
the same image, then both stop. It doesn't seem to be an issue of the
relative level (layer) of each GIF, and the problem shows up in
different OSs.

I am now totally stuck - the only thing I can think of doing is to
rearrange the entire screen so that the buttons don't have to
overlap. It does begin to look like a bug in the engine's
GIF-animating routine (I guess it must have one).

Still hoping for some help.

Graham