Tile based engine [was: Tiny images, mega headache]

David Kwinter david at kwinter.ca
Sun Jul 27 12:47:00 EDT 2003

Malte, let me know more about what you have in mind.

Doing what you've outlined wouldn't be too difficult, but considering any
"organic" image - non computer generated, there would be virtually zero
repeated 8x8 tiles. "Tilating" a picture may allow for some interesting
visual effects, but please share more about your idea.

My interest in tiling is kind of the opposite, my map editor starts with
12,000+ tiles, then when you're done editing the level, a script "import
snapshot"s them together making one big image, while a different script
analyzes the buttons and populates an array about the map's characteristics.
The tricks that could be put into an tile-engine for my use would consist of
categorizing tiles so that when the "land-stamp" tool is used, clicking on
the edge of already existing land only produces new land where appropriate
and uses tiles which line up smoothly with their neighbours.

I'll be on vacation until mid-August, while my girlfriend trains for a
triathlon, I'll be working on my game :-) The editor should be done by the
time I get back, I'll make it open-rev then.

David Kwinter