Universal GUI

Dan Shafer dan at shafermedia.com
Sun Jul 27 12:52:00 EDT 2003

On Sunday, July 27, 2003,Richard Gaskins scribed as follows:

> How do
> we get Apple back to being a research-based (as opposed to a
> Steve's-Whim-based) company?
>
> The pre-NeXT Apple understood the difference between usability
> engineering
> and graphic design.  And they had twice the marketshare.

There is a lot of consternation within and without Apple about the Aqua
interface and the degree to which it obfuscates or reduces the
simplicity of the traditional Apple GUI. I see it as a mixed bag. There
is some stuff in OS X which I have wanted Apple to fix in the old GUI
for years. But there is also some stuff that's just downright confusing.

I guess we have to look at this as an evolving thing. Hopefully,
developer feedback will get a hearing and some of the schmutz that's
crept into the UI will get eaten by a monster and the rest of us can
bask in the remaining pastures of elegance.