Universal GUI (was Re: HIG...)

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Wed Jul 23 22:13:00 EDT 2003

Richard et al...

My 2 cents on a Universal GUI.

I've been designing interfaces like many of you from the early HyperCard
days. Talk about Universal GUI! Just about all HyperCard stacks looked
alike...1-bit interfaces, card metaphor, etc.. Interesting enough, HC pretty
much broke many of Apples Human Interface Guidelines (HIG). Later, being a
traditionally trained Industrial Designer, I was delighted to move to
SuperCard, with color interfaces and the prelude to *multimedia.*

One of the very cool aspects of *multimedia* was one didn't have to adhere
to HIG or any GUI model...in fact you invented it with each new project.
This was great for us at Human Code, we ended up creating some really unique
award winning interfaces which ended up launching our company in a big way.
Once again, we stepped away from Apples HIG and created new and exciting
interfaces.

Soon, the Internet came along. Talk about a complete step backwards in GUI!
But, people got used to it. Creating new and unique websites (with
interfaces) is currently big business for a lot of companies. Flash came
along and once again redefined what an interface could be. By now, I hope
you're starting to see my point. Each change in technology and the tools to
build technology offers up new and different ways of doing things. Flash and
Directors timeline metaphor create an application which looks a certain way.
HyperCard's card metaphor creates a different look. I don't really think a
standard GUI would survive even a small time test for our changing platforms
and tools. Granted, I do believe good interface design is necessary in order
to create great products, but I believe good designers should create good
interfaces with or without GUI guidelines.

respectfully,

Chipp