Message Box woes & editing Revolution

Sarah sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Wed Jul 23 18:01:01 EDT 2003

Hi Bill,

Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. I'm sure that between us
on this list we can find solutions to a lot of them.

1. Message box: Try pressing Enter instead of Return. That way it will
work if you are in single line or multi line mode (the mode is show as
part of the message box window title). Test it with something really
simple like "put 1 + 2". This will separate the message box test from
any development you are doing and let you see if it really is the box
or if something else is going wrong. Also, reboot Rev and try using the
message box before opening any stacks.

2. Editing: there are numerous shortcuts for editing. Test them out and
use the one that suits you. Obviously using the inspector's popup menu
is not right for your workflow. The other options are: Command-E (Mac)
or Control-E (Windows)
Command-option hover (Mac) or Control-alt hover (Win)
The Script button in the toolbar
The contextual menu that pops up when you right-click or control-click
on an object.

3. Editing an object in a group: you don't have to be in edit group
mode. Turn on "Select Grouped Controls" in the Edit menu, or toggle
"Select Grouped" in the toolbar and you can select grouped objects
directly.

4. Toolbar: if you resent the space it takes up, then turn it off. In
the View menu there are two option: "Toolbar text" and "Toolbar icons".
Unchecking both of these turns off the bar completely but you may fine
that leaving just text on gives you enough room. All the toolbar
functions are available from the menus so you wont lose anything.

In an environment like Rev, there are nearly always multiple ways of
doing everything whether while scripting or designing. If you don't
like the way things are happening, there is very likely to be at least
one alternative. Check the shortcuts section of the Docs for some more
ideas.

I wrote a function key plugin - FunKey.rev can be downloaded from my
web page http://www.troz.net/Rev/ - which allows you to assign scripts
to the function keys. I use this to speed up my workflow and make
frequent used commands and menu items into a single keystroke.

Cheers,
Sarah
sarahr at genesearch.com.au
http://www.troz.net/Rev/