[OT] Win "security" (was: Re: Rev killing the Mac platform?)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jul 23 19:13:48 EDT 2003

"Swiss Researchers Exploit Windows Password Flaw"

<http://slashdot.org/articles/03/07/23/1240259.shtml?tid=126&tid=172&tid=185
&tid=190&tid=201&tid=93>

"CNET is carrying an article about a new (albeit simplistic) method used to
hack alphanumeric Windows passwords in a matter of seconds , rather than
minutes.  To blame is a 'weakness in Microsoft's method of encoding
passwords.'  According to the authors, the same method, when used on Mac OS
X, Unix and Linux boxes, however, could require either 4,096 times more
memory or 4,096 times longer."

Sorry, couldn't resist.  No more OT posts from me this week, I promise. :)

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation