Corruption of stack using clone

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Tue Dec 23 23:33:53 EST 2003

On Dec 23, 2003, at 9:07 PM, Thomas J McGrath III wrote:

> HAS anyone had the clone stack do this to them????
>
> I need to clone about another 50 substacks of the master substack and
> don't want to corrupt my app again.
>
> Any help is going to really make me calm down.

Not exactly- but here are some things to watch out for

1) Close the application browser while you are doing what you
described. I think it would just be safer because - I don't know - gut
feeling

2) Never, ever get into a situation where you have stacks or substacks
open with the same name. That's a recipe for either stacks/substacks
getting lost, or corrupted. That's been bugzillad.

3) If you set the substacks property of the mainstack, and you leave
out a substack name, then poof, that substack will be deleted without
warning.

I ran into this problem because I sometimes need to clone a substack,
then sort the substacks property in a particular way because I have a
lot of substacks and I like them to appear sorted, by substack
category, in the Application Browser. Application Browser doesn't allow
reordering of the stack names, so here is what I do:

clone substack
rename cloned stack
set the mainstack of the cloned stack
open the mainstack's property inspector
custom properties | add "substacks" property
edit the substacks property in the inspector

but *beware* if the property editor loses keyboard focus, the property
will be applied, and you are stuck with it. It's easy to lose substacks
this way. My workaround is to use the Emacs keybindings for editing
instead of using the mouse :-)

Now maybe I shouldn't be editing the substacks property this way, to
get the Application Browser to display the order of stacks I want it to
, but IMHO

- App browser should have a feature for re-ordering the display of
stacks
- Rev should not do something so drastic as drop substacks without
confirming with the user first.
- Rev should fix the naming collisions problem with when stacks have
the same name.

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software |
<http://mindlube.com>