Need user name, not computer name

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Dec 24 05:37:28 EST 2003

On  wrote: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 08:49:50 -0800, Scott Rossi
<scott at tactilemedia.com>

>  > $USERNAME is not listed in the globalNames in Win95 (I knew I kept that
>>  systme running for a reason <g>).
>
>As of January 16th, you may have little need for doing so, given that
>Windows 98 has pretty much had its plug pulled:
>
>http://www.news8austin.com/content/headlines/?ArID=92889&SecID=2
>
>http://news.com.com/2100-1014-5116216.html?tag=nl

Ah, if only it were that simple! In UK schools for example, the only
version of Windows you really **don't** have to cater for is 3.1 -
there are Windows 95 and Windows 98 systems out there, for sure. The
only thing one can do is to tempt them by offering better
functionality for post-W98-only systems, but then the takeup goes
down, according to my publisher. It has even been a struggle to give
up offering stuff that will work on a 640 x 480 (VGA) screen. And the
Mac world isn't that much better - there are plenty of MacOS8.6
systems out there, let alone MacOS9.x. This is partly due to budgets,
and partly due to a quite sensible "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
philosophy on the part of users who are usually fairly non-technical
and often don't have much access to technical support either.

Just 2 more Eurocents

Graham