combining cards from stacks

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Thu Nov 28 22:20:01 EST 2002

On Freitag, Nov 29, 2002, at 01:53 Europe/Zurich, Bernard Devlin wrote:

> I want to have an application where the users can store multiple
> stacks (with
> the same structure), and each stack would represent some way in which
> the user
> chooses to categorize the stacks.  (I'm envisioning situations in
> which the
> stacks may contain many thousands of cards, and the cards may be
> storing images
> and/or text too... and since I understand that Rev loads the entirety
> of the
> stack(s) in memory, this could become an issue, so I want to allow for
> this in
> the initial design - this design would allow the users to break up
> their stacks
> into categories if memory was an issue and recombine them when
> required).

I think if it is not necessary that you hide the images from the user,
then you could refer the images instead of loading them into the stack.
By doing this, the stack will only load images that are on the current
card, not every one in the whole stack.
Text can be read from files (probably encrypted) Into fields, but it
needs a little more work that with the pictures....

If you want definitely have all the data in stacks, then I would try to
keep the stacks at small pieces from the beginning. Else you would have
to first make a new stack, then copy the cards one by one and then
delete the recently copied cards (again one by one). That is rather
slow (i tried to do that once with only a few card, and it was too slow
for me).

you mentioned "thousands" of cards, if you mean 3-6 thousands, you
could be on the good side of things, other reported that that is doable
without slowdown, if there is enough memory.

It is possible to show Cards from one Stacks inside of another Stack,
but both have to be in memory (will automatically load if not there) ,
so it is kinda useless for you :)