Stacks and substacks of a filename

Matt Denton matt.denton at limelight.com.au
Tue Aug 13 08:02:02 EDT 2002

Heya-all.  I've been having stacks of fun...

I've been wading through the docs again, trying to find out what the
mainStack and subStacks of a file is.  For example, what is the
mainstack and substacks of "/mydisk/revdocs/thisStack.rev"?  Can you
find this out without opening the file and loading into memory?

I've checked: openstacks; mainstacks; mainstack; substacks; the
stackFiles; owner; effective filename; and stacks property.   It is
pretty easy to find the filename of a stack, and substacks of a
mainstack, ie the reverse of what I wan to do.  Or the mainstack of a
substack.  But I'm stumped trying to find the stacks in a file, plus any
substacks.

I must be overlooking something pretty simple, oui?  I can do a kludge
by comparing the list before and after, but this seems pretty
convoluted, plus you have to load the file.  Plus you have to cycle
through to find which  of the new list is the mainstack.  There is an
easier way, right?  I'm just up too late, right?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

M@