use-revolution digest, Vol 1 #332 - 13 msgs

nedlud at postoffice.pacbell.net nedlud at postoffice.pacbell.net
Thu Apr 11 05:14:17 EDT 2002

January 22, 1998
From: Jonathan <nedlud at pacbell.net>
To: <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>

Rob,

I'm afraid you are mistaken. Seconds are extremely limited. Their limits
are directly related to the limits of the computer. At the moment this
means that time starts in the 1970's. So, for example, if you want to do
common calculations such as generating the age of a person from their
birthday you are screwed. The same is true for any calculation outside of
the operating systems time window. Furthermore, I suspect that this is
different on different platforms, so the problem will not be consistent.
Julian dates are the standard for long time periods. Furthermore, Julian
arithmetic is far simpler than the calculations required for seconds (no
multiplication needed in most cases). And there are convenient methods
for determining the day of the week -- something that is useful for
calendars. Julian system is also a more compact representation -- seconds
will eventually overflow when dealing with large time differentials.

The closest functionality would be the date items function, but that is
also tied to the computer clock and is therefore similarly limited.

Frankly, I strongly believe that Julian dates should be the internal
format since that would provide us with a standard time measure that is
truly standard across all systems.

Also, I believe that Richard Gaskin posted a set of julian functions to
the metacard list 3 or 4 months ago.

J/

Rob Cozens <rcozens at pon.net> wrote on 4/10/2002 11:49 AM