Help! Has anyone compiled an external for OS X?

Tereza Snyder tereza at attainmentcompany.com
Fri Jun 6 21:05:00 EDT 2003

A year ago, I worked on an external for PPC and for Windows. I remember that
getting everything right was a nightmare, but I succeeded in compiling,
debugging, testing, installing, and deploying both using Codewarrior. Now I
need to make a new external for Mac OS X and I find I'm completely at sea.

The 2.5 readme says: "Externals must now be in Mach-O bundle format on Mac
OS X.  Updated projects are included in the Mac OS X package." No such
thing.

I downloaded the external.sit file. I saw that there is a CodeWarrior
project and I thought, halleluiah, there really is a project already set up!
I'll be able to see what libraries are needed and where to put the output.
I'm in business!

If you've tried it, you know what I discovered. The external.proj doesn't
have a mach-o target, only a Carbon, a 68K, a PPC, a Fat target. There are
some mach-o files in the "external Data" folder, but CodeWarrior won't do
anything with them. The readme is the same old readme. The tutorial is the
same old tutorial (that requires you to compile the external before it "will
guide experienced 'C' programmers through the process of customizing a
MetaCard external" Huh!). The source files are the same old source files.

Once upon a time I was an "experienced 'C' programmer". There are half a
dozen money-earning apps out there to prove it. But the compilers have
changed and the OS has changed while I've been grinding out MetaCard apps.
Has total immersion in MetaCard dulled my mind? I'm flummoxed.

Can anyone out there start me off with a CodeWarrior project that's set up
to produce a MetaCard external for MacOS X, and a little guidance as to
where/how to put the output binary?

I have both CW 7 and CW 8.

Exasperated again,

tereza