Livecode Future - End User Cost Extravaganza

Kevin Miller kevin at livecode.com
Mon Jul 29 08:28:09 EDT 2024

We have discussed internally whether to produce an option without the Cloud backend for Create. We're not going to do it. It would create additional engineering costs, confusion about the offering for new users and a lot of the value in Create is elsewhere in the redevelopments we've done not just in the Cloud. People already have lots of questions just figuring out the difference between Internal Apps and Apps for Sale, another option isn't going to be a positive thing. You don't have to use our cloud, but we aren't going to be removing it by default.

For those of you that have large internal user packs and are finding this challenging, please contact support directly. We may have other options available for existing customers in certain cases.

Kind regards,

Kevin

On 28/07/2024, 23:21, "use-livecode on behalf of Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode

Skip:

> Wow… just catching up on this thread ... more confused than ever!

Yes; big licensing changes, huge threads with generic subject lines.

Quick Recap with quotes from Buy and FAQ:

- 2 main licensing models: 'Internal Users' and 'Apps for Sale.'

- Apps for Sale: developer seat(s) + '5% of Application Payments.'
- (5% is not too painful/threatening, so those folks are not alarmed.)

- But 'Internal Users' are hit harder! THAT is why people are upset...
- 'Users includes app developers at the same cost as end users.'
- Pretty radical and painful, setting off a fire without warning!
- Now 'Volume discounts apply for 12 users or more' but still pricey.

- LC seemed to downplay folks' concerns as edge cases and retro...
- Obviously not; CEOs and IT managers, big and small firms, hobbyists.
- (We have so much GENIUS and industry in this community!)

Skip:

> I hope this all works out in the short term (and long term!)

Exactly my thoughts! As a consultant/nice guy, I look out for EVERYONE:
Big or small, app sales/internal, low code or code lover, new or old.

They all matter; I don't want anyone (including LC) derailed by license.

So let's find a fair, realistic solution for the 'Internal Users' folks!
I disagree with conflating developers at the same cost as end users.

Pay full price for developer seats...
But address whatever (XYZ$) costs an arm/leg per end user!

I assume that would be data hosting. And extra customer support?
(Hopefully NOT subsidizing other LC licensing models.)
So ... offer a BIG end-user discount for opting out of XYZ$. :)

(I'm recuperating from a big, long round of Long COVID -
Still tiring to type - but obviously an urgent situation for some,
so I speak up to encourage a good solution for all LC developers.)

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Radically Innovative Christian LiveCode Development
"PASSION for Elegant, Efficient Code!"
https://livecodeconsulting.com/ <https://livecodeconsulting.com/> <https://livecodeconsulting.com/> <https://livecodeconsulting.com/>> <https://livecodeconsulting.com/> <https://livecodeconsulting.com/>> <https://livecodeconsulting.com/>> <https://livecodeconsulting.com/&gt;>>