Livecode Future - End User Cost Extravaganza

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Sun Jul 28 18:21:49 EDT 2024

Skip:

 > Wow… just catching up on this thread ... more confused than ever!

Yes; big licensing changes, huge threads with generic subject lines.

Quick Recap with quotes from Buy and FAQ:

- 2 main licensing models: 'Internal Users' and 'Apps for Sale.'

- Apps for Sale:  developer seat(s) + '5% of Application Payments.'
- (5% is not too painful/threatening, so those folks are not alarmed.)

- But 'Internal Users' are hit harder! THAT is why people are upset...
- 'Users includes app developers at the same cost as end users.'
- Pretty radical and painful, setting off a fire without warning!
- Now 'Volume discounts apply for 12 users or more' but still pricey.

- LC seemed to downplay folks' concerns as edge cases and retro...
- Obviously not; CEOs and IT managers, big and small firms, hobbyists.
- (We have so much GENIUS and industry in this community!)

Skip:

 > I hope this all works out in the short term (and long term!)

Exactly my thoughts! As a consultant/nice guy, I look out for EVERYONE:
Big or small, app sales/internal, low code or code lover, new or old.

They all matter; I don't want anyone (including LC) derailed by license.

So let's find a fair, realistic solution for the 'Internal Users' folks!
I disagree with conflating developers at the same cost as end users.

Pay full price for developer seats...
But address whatever (XYZ$) costs an arm/leg per end user!

I assume that would be data hosting. And extra customer support?
(Hopefully NOT subsidizing other LC licensing models.)
So ... offer a BIG end-user discount for opting out of XYZ$. :)

(I'm recuperating from a big, long round of Long COVID -
Still tiring to type - but obviously an urgent situation for some,
so I speak up to encourage a good solution for all LC developers.)

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Radically Innovative Christian LiveCode Development
"PASSION for Elegant, Efficient Code!"
https://livecodeconsulting.com/